Langerbauer farm’s history in Jachenau
The beginning of our farm history, Langerbauer in Jachenau, is strongly linked to the beginning of colonization of our community. Therefore, at the beginning of a farm history a small insight into the history of the community Jachenau is given, so that a reader can have a better picture of the natural peculiarities of this mountain valley at the foothills of the Alps between Walchensee and Isartal. The beginning of the community Jachenau goes back a very long time. In the 8th century the noble family Huosi founded the monasteries Schäftlarn, Tegernsee and Benediktbeuern in the Bavarian Oberland. The monastery Benediktbeuern, which reaches into our area, received 92,000 square yards between Loisach and Isar in Tyrol and in the Adige Valley from its founders.
- The municipality Jachenau has about 840 inhabitants and an area of 128 km².
- The altitude ranges from 710 m in the valley to 1801 m above sea level on the Benediktenwand.
- It is very much influenced by agriculture and farming and has 44 farms.
- Our farm is located in the district of Berg at 840m above sea level.
Already in 1185 the monastery chronicle writes:
The farm Langerbauer in Jachenau, Berg, was originated due to tripartite division of the Geruoner (Krinner farm) in 1451. Until then there was only one farm, which was mentioned for the first time as the first colonization in Jachenau in 1192. At the same time the still existing farms of the Krinner, the Cölestin and the Langerbauer were originated.
Since that time it is in uninterrupted possession of the Öttl - Orterer. The name Orterer because in 1743 not the eldest son Anton, but the eldest daughter Barbara, who married Johann Orterer from the surroundings of Jachenau, received the farm. Now according to the Öttl, this is the 8th generation of Orterer managing the farm.
The farm, the way it looks today, including a house, stables and barn, was built as a typical Upper Bavarian farm in 1858 by Kaspar Orterer. Within next 10 years he built a present farmstead from quarry stone, as well as a farmhouse in the valley.
Built in 1868 Staffelalm is located at 1320 m above sea level below the Rabenkopf. Until 1984 it served as accommodation for alpine pasture staff over the summer. The history of this building at the beginning of last century is exciting. A young painter, who lived between Murnauer Moos and Kochelsee, visited the dairymaid during summer months from about 1900 - 1914. During these visits the artist made some paintings on the pasture. Among others there were two wall motifs - a bull's head and a deer with doe.
And this painter was none other than Franz Marc, one of the founders of the "Blue Rider". However, this expressionist style of painting was so abstract to alpine pasture staff at that time that after many years the "deer with doe" was whitewashed. Thanks to our grandfather, who was the last to see the painting, and through the preservation of works of art it was possible to partly expose the motif under 3 mm of thick whitewash.